skip to navigation
Pampers® Village a place to grow

Q&A:
Is it dangerous for a newborn to be in a house with a wood-burning stove?

0   people commented
on this article
 
1
 
0
Read bio Hide bio Hide

Question


Wood-burning stoves can be safe but you must follow recommended guidelines carefully.

Answer


Wood-burning stoves can be safe but you must follow recommended guidelines carefully.
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector/alarm in the hall near every separate sleeping area of the house. Check the batteries every month.
  • Make sure the stove is the right size for the room or space and that it meets EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) emission standards. Also, make sure that all of the stove's doors close properly.
  • Have yearly inspections by a Chimney Safety Institute Certified chimney sweep.
  • Be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness (symptoms that are sometimes mistaken for the flu). If you suspect poisoning, get out of the house and seek medical attention. Don't return to the house and use the stove until it has been checked by the fire department or other emergency agency.
  • Make sure a window is cracked open when the stove is going.
 
 
 
0

Member comments

You might also like

Color-changing Wetness Indicator (size NB, 1 and 2)

Find out about Pampers® Swaddlers diapers
Pampers® Swaddlers diapers