Is swallowing toothpaste a problem for a 2-year-old?
If the toothpaste contains fluoride, it's not a good idea for anyone to swallow significant amounts of toothpaste. Too much fluoride can cause problems just as not enough fluoride can be a cause of tooth decay. That's why it's generally not recommended to even use toothpaste under 2 years of age as most toddler
s don't understand the concept of "spitting out" the toothpaste after brushing. So if your child is tending to swallow toothpaste often, I suggest continuing to just brush with water until he gets the idea of "spitting out" the toothpaste. If your toothpaste does not contain fluoride, then swallowing small amounts will not be harmful. But be sure to check with your health care provider or dentist about your child's fluoride needs.