What should I do if my 19-month-old has swallowed a quarter?
You'd be surprised how quickly toddler
s pop something in their mouth, leaving their parents wondering whether they really swallowed it or not. The first step is to check for any difficulties swallowing or breathing, which include chest pain or discomfort, vomiting, gagging, excessive drooling, difficulty swallowing liquids or solids, cough, rapid breathing, choking, or blueness. If your child has any of these symptoms, call your doctor or seek emergency care immediately.
If your child really swallowed a quarter, the coin may get stuck in the esophagus. Smaller coins tend to pass easily. Your medical provider may request an X-ray to locate the coin. If it has passed into the stomach safely, you may need to check your daughter's stools for a few days to be sure it passes all the way out. Alert your medical provider if your daughter has bloody stools, abdominal pain, or any of the above symptoms.