Planning your first family plane trip? Here are some mom-tested strategies for traveling with your baby.
With a little preparation, air travel with your baby can be a pleasant adventure for the whole family. These tips for baby travel will ensure that those first few outings go as smoothly as possible.
1. Ask for help. If you’re traveling alone, definitely ask for assistance. Accept offers from the staff or other travelers to help with loading strollers and luggage into the overhead compartment.
2. Keep calm and do your best. You have a lot to handle, from getting checked in and going through security to soothing your baby on the trip. As long as you stay cool, your baby will too.
3. Do what you have to do. You may need to change things up to help your baby get through his travel experience. Try singing a new song or breaking out a toy he hasn’t seen in a while.
4. Pack carefully. You can never go wrong packing extra diapers. Other key essentials include a diaper changing pad, a blanket, favorite toys, extra formula or breast milk, pacifiers, extra clothes, plastic bags for dirty diapers and baby wipes. Keep in mind that you’ll be carrying everything you pack.
5. Nurse on the plane. While it’s tricky to breast-feed in such a small space, your baby needs to eat. Nursing will also help soothe him if he’s is cranky or if his ears hurt from the cabin pressure.
6. Change her diaper before boarding. The plane bathrooms are tiny. Even with a fold-down changing table, you may find it uncomfortable to change your baby there.
From take-off to landing, managing your baby on a plane isn’t all that terrible with some planning and preparation in place. Bon voyage!