Gently touching and massaging your baby can be a wonderful way to promote a feeling of security and protection. Pick up some tips on giving a safe and enjoyable baby rubdown.
Just like the rest of us, your baby loves human touch — and studies have shown that skin-to-skin contact
can have beneficial effects on parent-child bonding.
The benefits of human touch
Your baby has made the transition from a warm, enclosed environment to a cold, open one.
Close touch imitates the security of the womb and makes your baby's transition to the outside world less traumatic and more bearable.
· It makes your baby feel nurtured, protected, and secure.
· It helps soothe your baby.
· It improves your baby's growth and development
· It promotes makes it easier for parents to bring the newest family member into the fold.
Six steps to give your
a soothing, relaxing massage:
1. Make sure the room is warm.
2. Choose a secure area where there's no possibility of falling; many people simply put a soft blanket on the floor.
3. Undress your baby (down to his T-shirt and diaper).
4. It's not necessary to use oil, but if you choose to, pour a small amount of any bland, non-perfumed oil (even vegetable oil is fine) into the palm of
one hand, and then rub your hands together to warm the oil up before you apply it to your baby's skin. Remember, he could get very slippery and hard to
handle when he's all greased up!
5. Beginning with his feet and legs, gently move your hands upward toward your baby's chest and arms, using firm strokes.
6. When you get to your baby's upper body, cover his legs and feet with a blanket, and then remove his shirt.
Keep it up only as long as your baby seems to be enjoying the massage — and have fun!
The more close contact you have with your baby the better a bond the two of you will form. Whenever you touch or massage him your baby will feel nurtured,
protected, and secure. Plus.. massaging your baby is lots of fun for you too!